SOCIAL WORK METHODS AND TECHNIQUES 1
The student will be accompanied to:
• Know the specific areas of the social worker's intervention in different operational contexts, starting from case analysis;
• Know the functions of the social worker, with reference to the methodological, practical and deontological aspects, to the institutional context and to individual and community relational dynamics; to identify the specificity of the role of the social worker in the multi-professional team and in the aid process;
• Apply skills in the management of the aid process according to professional, methodological and ethical adequacy, learning to analyze complex and multidimensional situations, to detect and appropriately evaluate the elements that contribute to the formulation of the aid process and to hypothesize effective and shared operational lines;
• To deepen the meaning of some tools and specific social service interventions in the various work areas, paying attention to the decision-making processes to be activated, to the current legislation, to the ethical and deontological presuppositions of the profession;
• Developing skills related to taking professional decisions in the various phases of the intervention, learning to argue their choices;
• Develop a greater self-awareness helping relationships, of personal and professional value meanings in exchange processes with people who live in conditions of marginality and difficulty.
Basic understanding of social services legislation and social work values and ethics.
The course will primarly aim to recover, verify and consolidate the learning of the studies already conducted, to consider and reflect on the conflicts, difficulties and risks that the professional social worker must face in everyday life.
The specific aspects of the helping relationship will be dealt with, in particular characteristics and dynamics, self-awareness, the concept of self-determination, empathy and emotional intelligence and the operational specificities of each work area of the social worker.
Professional tools and related application methodologies will be analyzed, with particular attention to the interview and home visit. With respect to the latter, definition and methodology, skills at stake, correct and not recommended attitudes in conducting, restitution and feedback techniques, strategies for managing complex and difficult interviews will be proposed.
In addition, concrete cases will be proposed on which to reflect individually, in groups and in plenary in order to highlight nodes and operational lines to face the situations presented and grasp the theoretical and technical references that guide professional action.
In addition to the lectures, is expected the organization of:
- meetings and seminars concerning specific themes and contents of the Social Service, with particular reference to the specific areas of intervention of the Social Worker;
- meetings with experts and / or witnesses of significant experiences.
For a successful course, the direct participation of students and their involvement in practical activities proposed and guided by the teacher will be fundamental.
Compulsory reading for the final exam:
1. Cabiati E., La visita domiciliare in tutela minorile, Milano, Erickson, 2014.
2. Raineri M. L., Corradini F., Linee guida e procedure di servizio sociale, Milano, Erickson, 2019 [Chapters 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18].
3. Handout on the interview made available by the teacher.
4. Contents of the lessons, published on Elly Platform.
The teaching methodology will be dialogic-interactive, alternating more theoretical moments with discussions between teacher and students. Exercises, case studies, group work and simulations will also be proposed to put into practice the competences covered by the course.
In addition, the course will be supplemented by theoretical and operational seminars conducted by social workers or other experts, who will explore specific issues relating to the role, operations and daily practice of the social worker in the various areas of intervention.
The summative evaluation of the learning will take place in oral form in order to verify:
1) the student's knowledge of the topics covered during the course
2) the ability to analyze, discuss and formulate proposals for solving a case
3) the ability to identify the relevant elements on which to base professional evaluations
4) the ability to link the learned contents with professional practice and the value and deontological system.
The evaluation will be considered sufficient if a good knowledge of the basic concepts and topics addressed will be evident, as well as an adequate ability to make connections and reflect on the profession of social worker.
The teacher is available for clarification at the end of each lesson, via email or Skype contact.
Reception will take place by appointment before or after the lessons or remotely.